Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You wanna turn the wheel?!

You may remember in my pervious blog, "A bun in the oven discovered" I mentioned about Aaron and I getting into a car accident while driving home from Manassas last summer. Here's the story...
We were all packed and ready to go, it was nice and early in the morning, the sun was rising and it was looking like another beautiful day! After a final look around the apartment, we decided it was time to say goodbye to our Manassas home, and head back to Canada!

So, about 5 minutes on the road, Aaron becomes distracted by something for a second... but in that second we were approaching a bend in the road, on a rather busy street. I saw us approaching this bend, and became rather alamed that Aaron wasn't looking, or turning the wheel! He asked me a question, to which I replied, "Do you wanna turn the wheel?!"

I suppose I said it in a rather alarmed voice, because I scared him. Which made him slam on the brakes. Which made us skid accross the loose gravel on the road. This made the car spin, which then made the car hit the cement barrier on my side... That cause the car to spin in a full circle or so, which then stopped on some kind of gravel "parking space" for what we assumed was for construction workers--- the only safe place we could have ended up on that road, especially since it happened right around a corner, and no one coming would have been able to see us or stop in time before hitting us.


The first thing I did was ask Aaron if he was okay. I knew he was going to be the one that was most shocked and concerned. He told me he was okay, and asked how I was. I was fine--actually really fine. lol Maybe I was just trying to compensate for how I figured he must be feeling--the poor guy was pretty shook up!

I can't remember the order of how things happened after that... but I know we started smelling something funny from the AC.. We got out of the car and saw what happened to it, learned that my door was hard to open and close, and I think we were seeing smoke from under the hood? Not sure about that part, but it sounds right. I know he called the insurance company, and they told us to call the police. I remember the police man coming and saying that he didn't actually need to be involved because of some reason or another. Right before he had gotten there we tried to start the car again but the engine wouldn't turn over--we thought we were going to have to crash at our friends house until the car got fixed. Luckily, while the cop was there, the car started working! We decided to chance it and finish the 9 hour ride back to Canada so we could get it fixed there.


The rest of the trip went fine! We didn't turn on the AC because of the smell, but other than that the trip was fine. We got the car fixed back home, and it looks good and new! Now you know our car accident story.


Confession: Even though it had been a dangerous experience, I still found it kind of... umm...fun when we were spinning! lol i thought it was kind of exciting--maybe that's another reason I was able to react the way I did after. haha.

We both feel incredibly blessed that it happened the way it did though--that no one else was involved, that we were both safe, that we had stopped in the only safe place on the road, and that we were able to continue our trip!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh if that were Matt and I, he would totally be blaming me for the accident due to the tone of alarm in my voice. He thinks I over-react when he's driving, but I personally think he's a little too jumpy. I mean, I should be able to gasp and exclaim, "A bunny!!!!!" without him jumping out of his skin, right??? ;)

    ReplyDelete